Your Jaguar can develop water pump failure for a number of reasons. The water pump is responsible for moving coolant through the engine block, hoses, and radiator. It is driven by a belt from the crankshaft pulley and maintains key operating temperature. The pump housing has an impeller that drives coolant through the engine.
Why Does it Fail?
A water pump is designed to last 100,000 miles, but like all other parts of your Jaguar, can fail at any time. Several reasons could cause a water pump to fail including:
- Corrosion and Rust: This is most commonly caused by a small leak from the water pump resulting in rust and corrosion. Rust can become an issue if the cap is not properly secured, letting in too much air.
- A Damaged Belt: If the belt that drives the water pump is broken, cracked, or too loose, it will not function properly. With a damaged belt, you will likely hear a squealing noise from under the hood that gets louder as you accelerate.
Signs of a Failing Water Pump
There are several tell-tell signs of a failing water pump. Listed below are a few things to look out for.
- Engine Overheating: If your water pump fails, your engine is prone to overheating. There is no longer coolant running through the engine block, therefore it is unable to regulate optimum temperatures.
- Warning Lights on the Dashboard: Not only will your check engine light come on, but the temperature gauge will also read high rather than in normal range.
- Leaks: Puddles of green coolant on the ground.
It is important to take immediate action to get your Jaguar to your trusted repair shop if your vehicle exhibits any of these signs.
If you find yourself driving down the road, and your engine begins overheating, what do you do? Immediately pull over, turn off the ignition, and allow plenty of time for the engine to cool. If there is smoke coming from under the hood, quickly exit the vehicle and move a safe distance away.
To avoid further damage to your Jaguar, it is in your best interest to call a towing company and have your vehicle taken to a local repair shop that specializes in luxury cars. Do not attempt to continue driving. Without a functioning water pump, if you continue driving, the risk is much greater to damage the engine.
Master Mechanics Auto Repair
At Master Mechanics Auto Repair, we are a full-service repair shop for European, Asian, and Domestic makes and models. Our shop is located in Kalamazoo, MI. We happily serve the community of Battle Creek, Portage, and Kalamazoo, MI.
With more than 20 years of service under his belt, Kalamazoo’s most trusted auto repair tech and manager, Jamin Rewa, has purchased his own business. He has built his reputation based on honesty, trust, and high-quality work.
We service more than a dozen car brands, including:
We specialize in automotive computer and electrical diagnostics. In addition, some of the many repairs we do include: module programming, theft and key programming, tune up, brakes, exhaust and mufflers, hybrid, propane vehicles, alternative fuel, flex-fuel, electric cars, engines, transmissions, oil changes, air conditioning, heating and cooling, airbag, anti-lock brake system, check engine lamps, steering and suspension, batteries, drive train, power steering, tire rotation, struts and shocks, four-wheel drive, and fleet service.
Master Mechanics Auto Repair starts by assessing the condition of your vehicle to determine what is needed. We will then write up an estimate detailing repairs and/or service, the cost of service, and an estimated timeframe. If you are satisfied with the estimate, which we are sure you will be, repairs will immediately begin.
Master Mechanics is proud to offer a 10% discount on labor charges when you refer a new customer to us. If you are satisfied with our work, let your friends know.