Porsche vehicles are famous for their dynamic design and high power performance. Routine servicing and maintenance are essential for preserving this level of performance, reliability, and smooth driving experience. A crucial component in the car’s transmission system that needs timely upkeep is the valve body.
Fortunately, in most cases, the transmission valve body does not fail suddenly. Instead, the failure happens over time. However, once the valve body fails, it should be repaired or replaced. Let us now understand how the valve body functions within the transmission system.
The function of the Transmission Valve Body
A valve body is an integral component of the transmission system, consisting of various linked pathways and channels that direct the flow of the pressurized hydraulic fluid from one part of the system to other parts. This system is responsible for operating the clutch pack or band and shifting to the most appropriate gear based on the vehicle’s speed.
There are different types of valves, and each one of them is assigned different functions. Thus, the valve body must be kept in undamaged and efficient condition to keep the gears functioning smoothly.
Causes of Transmission Valve Body Failure
- Insufficient Lubrication: Sufficient and timely lubrication is important for the smooth operation of the metal components in the transmission system. This lubrication becomes essential for moving components like valves, which open and close to allow hydraulic fluid to pass through. Inadequate lubrication causes the gears to stick and fail.
- Fluid contamination: The transmission fluid should be perfectly clean and operate at precise pressure. The pressure changes when the fluid gets contaminated by particles. As a result, the fluid’s viscosity is lowered. Since the transmission system is dependent on the transfer of pressure throughout the system, improper pressure jeopardizes the entire transmission system.
Another common reason behind a valve body failure is the wearing down of the parts of the system over time. In such cases, you should get the defective or worn-out parts replaced with efficient ones.
- Delay in Garage Shifts: Garage shifts are the shifts made between Park, Drive, and Reverse. A delay in shifting or abrupt shifting is amongst the most common indicators of a malfunctioning transmission valve body.
- Incorrect Shifting: If you notice that the transmission shifts into higher or lower gears at an unnecessary or wrong time, this issue should not be ignored. You should bring your Porsche in to be checked by experts as soon as it comes to your notice.
- Shift Flares: In a properly working transmission system, the RPMs are expected to drop on an upshift to match the higher gear between every shift. However, if the RPMs increase in such a situation, then this is called a shift flare. And a shift flare makes the engine rev up in between gears, which is a sign of transmission valve body dysfunction.
- Gear Slippage: When your vehicle’s transmission slips, it tries to upshift but instead falls into a lower gear. Gear slippage is a possible result of valve body failure.
- Grinding Sound: A defective valve body causes grinding or unusual noises when you slow down the car, apply brakes, or reverse the car. These sounds might not seem very problematic, but ignoring them will worsen the issue over time.
If you notice any of these symptoms or experience any of these problems, it is highly recommended to get your Porsche checked at a reputable service center by professionals in your Porsche model.
Master Mechanics Auto Repair is Here to Maintain Your Porsche
If you have recognized the above signs mentioned in your Porsche, then Master Mechanics Auto Repair is the right place for servicing your car. After an accurate diagnosis of the issue, we provide the necessary service using the latest factory-grade tools and equipment.
According to the case, we will repair and replace the defective components in your car to avoid any long-term damages. Moreover, we provide only legit servicing solutions and avoid unnecessary expenses or add-ons. We believe in trust and transparency to build our working relationship with you.
Master Mechanics Auto Repair has a friendly and confident staff who will help you preserve the performance of your Porsche. All the technicians and mechanics are ASE certified and have decades of working experience in this field. So drive in or tow in your Porsche to our service center at 3219 E Kilgore Rd, Kalamazoo, MI 49001. We also provide service in the Battle Creek and Portage region to serve you better. Call us today at 269-373-9000 to schedule an appointment.